About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Sunday, August 23, 2015

WARM AND COSY AT 90°F

We here in central/southern California are in the middle of a heat wave...it will reach 98° in my area by Friday. And, September and October are historically our hottest months. So, why am I sewing fall clothes? Because:


  1. I LOVE fall clothes. It's my favorite fashion season.
  2. It is my way of being in denial about the climate I live in.
  3. Yummy fall fashions are on the runway.
  4. Gorgeous fall fabrics are in my go-to fabric sources.
  5. I am going to Portugal in late October, and am hoping the weather will be cool enough there to wear my fall clothes.
  6. Yada,yada,yada
Here is a new pattern from Marcy Tilton, V9140



I made it in a double-sided ponte knit, gray with black dots on one side, plain gray on the other. The fabric is also from Marcy. I cut front facings and welts from solid black ponte, and trimmed the front and sleeves with a trimming I love.


The fabric is not that heavy, so IF WE EVER GET ANOTHER WINTER, I will be able to wear it here, as well.

Back to the studio...

TTYL

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. The trim detail is perfect. I can understand your love of fall clothes and your denial of the weather made me laugh. Why not? It's good to be prepared for when winter finally hits. Well, and there's PORTUGAL! How exciting. I wonder what you're up to in the studio...?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I love this, you look gorgeous! Enjoy Portugal:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I'm in the same sewing 'Fall' frame of mind. It's also my favorite season despite living in hot, humid Houston, TX. What else is one to do other than ignore the weather and sew what we love? Your latest MT creation is fab. Did you find the extra fullness problematic? Yours doesn't appear excessive as the pattern photo suggests. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking piece! The trim is a fabulous touch. I'm always in denial about the weather this time of year, get so tired of nothing but heat when it *should* be cool and crisp! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your jacket and and your trim is a great touch..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trim detail really makes this jacket amazing! Love how you added that and took it up a level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! It looks nice and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fantastic look my dear! i'm with you in my dreams for fall!!

    xox
    Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautiful jacket, Margy! It looks snuggly warm, or maybe suffocating in the heat, but eventually! That trim is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the small round bead trim with the scale of the dotted fabric. Wonderful, overall. Come to San Francisco- it would be great here year round in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this jacket! The trim is a very attractive and elegant touch. Enjoy your upcoming trip and hope you get to wear this often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis is so lovely! And your photographs are such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your taste and your talent! This jacket is beyond wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The trim details is delicious.

    And our heat waves are (temporarily?) in retreat. I hope yours treat you kindly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a fellow Californian I feel ya. It is so tough to look at all the Fall collections while sitting barefoot in front of the fan. But this is really so pretty. I love the trim. So happy that you will be representing the U.S. with chic sophistication instead of a fanny pack and cargo shorts. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! I'm a fall colors gal, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If only we could dress like this every day...I hear you on the climate! This is a cool looking outfit, especially that beaded trim.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love this jacket and the trim is very nice too

    ReplyDelete
  19. Margy, you simply must enter both this coat and the Betzina vest in Marcy Tilton's contest as they are winners!!! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your version of this! I tried making this (as a wearable muslin) in light weight polar fleece and it is simply too bulky with too much volume in front. I don't know what to make of the exposed seams. I trimmed mine close but I am still not crazy about this detail on mine. Yours looks fabulous. I love the contrast fabric and the beautiful trim!

    ReplyDelete