About Me

My photo
Los Olivos, California, United States
You can reach me at fool4fabric (at) gmail (dot) com

Saturday, February 23, 2013

and MORE color!

Sewing my red pants was so stimulating, I decided to make a top to go with them (and silver pants and black pants), so I made this knit tunic
The fabric is a poly/spandex knit from Mood Fabrics that I've had my eye on for a long time... I used 
V8691, a Katherine Tilton top that I've made 3 times now. It has a particularly lovely fit through the torso, and this time I tweaked it a lot...
I added 4 inches to the length, and did not put the "ruffles" on that the pattern calls for (see here). I raised the neckline by an inch, and added a cowl collar. I also lengthened the sleeves.

I was a little leery about a poly knit, but this one is very high quality; the print is beautifully done, and it
feels good to wear.

A little Shams twirl...
 Color is fun!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013


As promised, I temporarily abandoned my usual black sewing and stitched up
a pair of RED PANTS! I seem to be on a perennial search for red pants I love...I'm very picky about the shade of red, and because they are so out there, the fit is more important than usual. I went back to my wonderful
Lynda Maynard pattern for these:

The fabric is a bengaline from JoAnns...80% polyester, 15% rayon and 4%
spandex. There have been comments that the JA bengaline pills more than
the bengaline from Australia..we will see. The color was exactly right, so it's
worth a try.

Unattractive pose, but you can see that the under-the-butt wrinkles are not a
problem. Yay, Lynda!

I'm taking a few days to unclutter the studio...and to decide what's next.


Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Manteau #2

Up for consideration in my travel wardrobe challenge is Manteau #2, using one of my TNT patterns, M5433 (OOP)

For this garment, I used a tone on tone animal print ponte from Sewing Workshop. I redrafted the pattern to include a center zipper and changed the shirt collar to a mandarin collar.


The zipper I used is probably a little too heavy for the fabric, which is a lighter-weight ponte. I can also
wear it with a belt:

Now, I'm going to go out to my studio and sew something COLORFUL!

Saturday, February 2, 2013


I've been dying to sew the Style Arc Marni Ponti Jacket since it was issued; I'm surprised there aren't many reviews of this...it's a cute jacket:

I wanted to intersperse "wear-it-now" sewing with my ongoing "Manteau Auditions". Here's my jacket


I used a medium-to-heavy weight ponte from EOS for the body of the jacket, and used a heavy-weight black ponte from Denver Fabrics for the facing and sleeves. I mention the weights of the ponte knits, because I had a problem with the 3/8 inch seam allowances; with the heavier weight fabrics, it was hard to make the seams lay flat, and I wound up topstitching everything in order to flatten the seams. There are many different weights of Ponte knits, and I think this jacket would have been easier to sew had I used a lighter-weight knit (like a Sophia knit) or if I had cut the seam allowances a little larger.
I had trouble understanding the closure (if any) for this jacket, so what worked for me were two skirt/trouser hooks and a button just for show. It needs a cami under it...

I've worn the jacket twice and gotten many compliments on it; I love the fit of it and will definitely make it again.

I've been AWOL for the last two weeks due to an allergic dermatitis outbreak around my eyes. UGLY.
I just finished the patch test for 71 different potential allergens (I haven't been able to shower for 6 days...) and so far, am positive for only one, lanolin alcohol. Unfortunately, it's in a lot of common products, such as cosmetics, cleaning compounds, etc., so I have to start looking closely at ingredients.

NSFW Image!!!!!

It's good I'm fond of polka dots..... and I finally showered this morning...YAY!